Monday, June 29, 2009

a pat on the back

I was proud of myself today. I love taking things that are rejected by people, set out as trash, and giving them a new life and purpose. I love fixing things that are being neglected because they are broken, I love giving usefulness. 
In the barn there was a wheel barrow (as a kid I thought it was "wheel barrel") with a flat tire. These kinds of tires are like car tires, they have no tube. The tire seals against the rim. So to fill the tire a seal has to be made.  If a large portion of air is forced into the tire, the air itself will force the tire to seal. All I have is a small bike pump.  So I tied a string around the tire and put blocks of wood to squeeze the tire. It worked. Squeezing the tire was enough to make a seal. The wheel barrow has been rescued.

2 comments:

Greg Johnston said...

Hurray for the rescued tire! I want to know how to do it myself. Did you put the blocks of wood on the sidewalls of the tire or on the tred?

Braden said...

Oh hey sorry this comment is so late I have been goofing around and not writing.
Uh, I put the blocks on the tread. I talked to a guy who said that a belt would work well too.
Thanks for your comment