Saturday, February 21, 2009

a little more

I was thinking more about the idea of seeking quick joy verses seeking a later joy. It takes trust to seek a later joy because it does not come now. That is the struggle and why it is so easy and temping to use things that one can control to bring oneself joy. It is the reason capitalism is so successful. While for me watching a video was the quick joy, for many buying stuff is. ( A quick note: I am aware of balance, and a person needs to judge for one's self what is best. Also, I am not saying that all purchasing is improper.) I personally believe that there are many unneeded purchases going on with extreme consistency. I am not as concerned with fiscal irresponsibility as much as I am concerned with emotional pacifying. I wonder why do I care if folks or more accurately I,  satisfy my desire for joy with petty things? I don't see a direct reason, but I do see an indirect one. It seems often and likely that an uncontrolled pacifying becomes, or leads to a lack of drive to seek true, lasting, deep joys. 

No comments: