Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bio-Immortal-ist

“I don’t know what to do,” Owen said to his friend Susan. Susan sipped her coffee and managed a dry, “About what?”

“Have you heard of a bio-immortalist?” Susan didn’t look up so Owen continued. “Well they are people who are trying to find ways to make people immortal. One idea that is really cliche is that when you die these people freeze your brain, head, or body. Then in when the technology is developed, they reanimate you. Don’t you want to be immortal Susan?”

“No”

“Why?”

“First of all it is so creepy. Second, I don’t want some freak of a scientist that I have never met, in some time period that I know nothing about messing around with my body, trying to put my consciousness back into it.”

“It’s called reanimate,” Owen interjected.

“Whatever. I don’t even remotely think that any scientist would be able to do it. But what it worse is, what if they did bring you back? What if they only half brought you back, Owen? What if you came back to be tortured by pain, regret and rejection from a society that you know nothing about? Did you ever think about that?”

“Susan...” Owen whined. “I was getting really excited about it. Why did you have to go and put all of that in my head.” Sob. Sob.

“Okay, I’m sorry Owen, just promise me that you wont sign up for anything without running it by me first. Alright?”

“Yeah,” Owen sniffed. A moment passed. Then, Owen chipper as ever blurted, “Do you want to go make a time capsule for ourselves to find in the year 2100?”

No comments: