Wednesday, June 11, 2008

ideas about honor

Honor
Is honor something that one can poses, or is it a pattern of living? I think when one says to have honor it is this person making honorable choices, it could be that person having honorable desire. We find that one can honor one’s parents by taking care of them. We see where the Pharisees were not honoring their parents in Mark 7: 10-13.
One can honor God with one’s talents by being good stewards of them.
I think that often honor has been displayed as not giving in or backing down on what is believed. I think that standing for beliefs at all is an example of honor but this is an example of exceptional honor. The movie the Last Samurai is based on this sort of notion of honor. The characters will die for honor, and even kill themselves as a way to die honorably. I think that this is a miss understanding of what honor is, but a right understanding of how to hold on to honor.
It seems to me that honoring is paired with concern or a desire of righteousness, or love. Perhaps action is a fulfillment of one’s concern. Perhaps action helps create concern.
I think that an important way to keep one’s self sensitive to what is honorable is to think about what one does before one does it, to judge what is best. Many people do things because they always have, or because everyone else does or because that is what their parents/family did, or even because it is what they think they are supposed to do. In all of these times what is done is not necessarily what is best.
Here is a verse to think about.
Proverbs 15:33 the fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, And before honor is humility.
This is interesting because I have been thinking of honor as more of a worldview. (I will consider people and actions with a “what is best” lens and act accordingly to my best judgment.) This proverbs passage relates it to humility, which seems to me to be more of a state of being. (I will live in humility, I will have my existence be in keeping with whom I am, e.g. human, servant, beloved etc) In any case honor seems to be a very dynamic thing.

No comments: