Friday, February 5, 2010

Eating Like a Pagan

Eating seems to have a special significance. I have heard this expressed before with the logic that since the first sin was committed with food, eating must be significant. Beside that, there is the fact that the Lord chose to use a supper to remind us of his sacrifice.
With this in mind, I would say that since the time that all foods were declared “clean”, it isn’t what one eats (within reason) that is important, it is more of why one eats that is important and how much one eats. I want to talk about two reasons for eating that are reasons that the world eats. This is what I mean by the title of eating like a pagan.
The two reasons could be seen as on a spectrum. On one end is abject eating, eating only to sustain one’s body. This reason for eating ignores that food is made beautiful and that the various flavors are meant to be enjoyed properly.
On the other end of the spectrum, is eating only for pleasure. Personally, I find this way of eating to be just as empty as the other. It encompasses having a criteria for food based only on taste. Also the eater is eating to have a taste-oriented sensual experience. I find that when I eat for this reason I end up overeating because I want more taste pleasure. I think that this reason for eating is the most common in American culture. At fast food places the flavor is amped up regardless of the effect on peoples bodies. Many pre-made foods at the grocery store are loaded up with sugars, fats and salts. These items taste good but in such high quantities are causing major health problems.
I heard a sermon at Mars Hill, Grand Rapids. The speaker was talking about praising God. The illustration was for everyone to eat a piece of chocolate. The word savor seems to best capture the aspects of this exercise. The idea is to avoid anything like shoving the food in your mouth and swallowing. This task requires time and focus. Most people are in the habit of eating without thinking. When the pleasant taste hits your tongue you absorb it. You pause and enjoy it. Then you think of God and his love for you. You think about his kindness and how he provides for you. You thank God for this pleasure, for the ability to enjoy it.
I think that there is a reason for eating that is for the body and rightly enjoys taste as a gift. I find that when I eat like this I am enriched. My body is nourished and my attitude and perspective are too. I eat less and am satisfied more.
It might not always look like the sermon illustration. It might involve praying before meals. I think that perhaps this was what praying before meals was originally intended for when it wasn’t a trite religious act. For many perhaps it still functions this way. At the core it is thanking God for what you are eating. This will naturally take many forms.

No comments: