Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Artist statement No.1

In the account of Creation after the Lord had created something Scripture says, “And God saw that it was good.” This is a profound example of creating. God created and the very existence of the created is good. This high standard of making, for its existence to be good, warrants an artist’s best efforts.

I believe that the most valuable art is made in response to the Creator. It is my personal desire to make art that mirrors or speaks of life. I see life and vitality in Creation that can even become a catalyst to worship. As a student in Florence, Italy, I had substantial exposure to the art of Michelangelo Buonarroti. In particular, his marble sculptures carried something of a concentrated allusion to life that was captivating to say the least. As an artist who is attentively aware of the distortion of sin and the persistence of death, I take pleasure to work at finding life in even the most common, trite, and dispensable things.

I believe that Creation can be well used and utilized as a pattern for beauty.
The fact that God saw Creation and said that it was good is a compelling event. Beautiful trees, mountains, and wild life are spectacular examples of what God saw when he spoke. One of the often forgotten members of Creation is air. I particularly find awe and intrigue especially in the space between and the volume of the Created. I try to reflect this by making my paintings and drawings show depth and presence. I try to boil things down and un-clutter my paintings to emphasis the air and space.
As an artist I want to glorify God with my talents; I want to encourage people to seek after God, and I want to communicate something of God’s beauty.

No comments: