Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Skin on Frame

I have been trying to make a kayak. It is a skin on frame style. I took a tree that no one wanted, maybe it was pine. I split it with many wooden wedges. I used a circular saw to cut it into planks. With the two long planks that are the gunwales, I tied the ends together. With a short board I opened the planks, making the general kayak shape.  The part that is challenging is bending boards for ribs that make the hull shape. I don't want to make a steamer. So I might make a form. An interesting thing that I learned is that the keel on a skin on frame boat is called a keelson because it is under the skin and does not touch the water.

I was cutting the earth yesterday, when I looked at some handsome worms. What if there was a super hero that had a worm arm. It would be kind of clear, it would stretch and contract, it would expand and shrink, I think that it would be pretty disgusting. Bad guys would run just because it was gross.

1 comment:

A&J said...

kinda like pickle-arm man...