Tuesday, July 15, 2008

no title today

You know, I like black walnuts.
They grow here. I had my first encounter with them last fall. I cracked hundreds. I learned that their green flesh will stain skin brown for about two weeks. I made indelible black walnut ink.
I love that every part of the nut is useful. The flesh makes ink, the nut is "delish", and the shell is used for charcoal filters and I read that it is so hard that it is used in oil drilling as an abrasive.
Can I tell something else? Squirrels can chew through the shell. wow

I refrigerated some nuts to simulate a dormancy period. In the spring I planted them.
Two months later one sprouted. It was so beautiful to me. I sat and looked at it. I praised God for it, for the leaves, stem, form... I like that this little thing is the same as those looming giants. It may outlive me, and provide food for so many. What a joy.

Another nut just sprouted.

No comments: