Saturday, March 21, 2009

0hhhh

I have always thought that a person would feel their age slowly greater and greater as the person got older. I thought that a person would start to feel old around 30 or 40. I have a new perspective now. Before I went to NYC, I felt young and strong. Then during my time in NYC and since I feel old. I feel tired.  It came all at once and I’m only 26.



The professor in the class that I am taking told us about this guy named Foyerbach. Foyerbach according to my professor said that the notion of god that people have is a cosmic projection based on the most noble characteristics of humans. It is like people took all of the things that they see good in people and wanted a god, so they made one in their image, so to speak. 


There is a different idea about this, I think that Kant discussed it. I think that C. S. Lewis talked about it too. It is the idea that people get a notion of god from our notion of morality. Lewis calls it the Law of Nature. The idea is that since people have the feeling the they ought to do something that they don’t always do, there must be a standard that people are trying to reach but don’t. This standard must be from God. This is mostly from Lewis, I am not sure what Kant says exactly.


There is another idea that I have heard that says people come to think of god because they are met with unknown, uncontrollable, extremely powerful forces in nature. People then attribute these forces to god.


We also learned about this guy named Schleiermacher. Supposedly he says that Adam’s experience of God was not complete until Eve was created. The point of saying this is to put an emphasis on the importance of community. He even goes as far as saying that redemption is only experience in community. That is to say that one can’t be saved outside of the church. 

This is so interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kant would say..."Categorical Imparative". Noumenal, phenomenal, and a bunch of other classifications. He liked those.