Wednesday, March 11, 2009

two two two in a row

I was talking with some folks about documentary films. My friend was talking about this tight rope walker. The topic of passion came up. This tight rope walker was so full of passion, so tangible that could be cut with a knife. Then we talked about the Grizzly Man, a man who was extremely excited about bears. 
I felt like I hunger for something like the passion. I felt a hunger for greatness and the intensity of experience. 
I've thought, "how do experience something admirable like this?" 
It is an interesting thing how things look in a film verses what they are to really experience. For example I might see a film about biblical scholars who made amazing discoveries that lead to an unparalleled translation. Then I think, " Wow that is cool I should study Greek and Hebrew too." But then when I try to learn it doesn't seem cool.
The thing is I want to be on the cutting edge and making breakthroughs. Maybe the difference is that the people who make the breakthroughs don't do what they do with the purpose of making a breakthrough. Perhaps they merely love what they are good at and keep at it when they don't love it.
I'm not sure.

No comments: