Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What is going on?

Just think about it. I am reading a book called Just How Married Do You Want To Be: Exploring oneness in marriage. It is very interesting.  
 When I hear some people talk (especially when I hear culture talk) about marriage I have such a strong negative emotional response. I tend to feel alone, fearful, anxious, angry. I have wondered if there was something wrong with my emotions, and there might be. But as I have been exploring the ideas in this book I have felt something more along the lines of hope, peace, excitement, belonging. Which makes me wonder if there is something legitimately causing my emotions, something that I should be having a problem with.

One interesting thing addressed in my readings is the notion of the husband being a head and the wife being a body, connected to each other, and the comparison of Christ being the head connected to the church body.

I had an idea about this metaphor. There are these friends that I have that I have fond feelings toward.  I just had this weird impression of, "I like them enough to make a formal commitment akin to marrying them."
Then I thought, "Wait a minute I am married with them to God. They are my brother and sister "wife" to God." I know, this is an odd notion of God the polygamist, who has every believer as his wife. The point is to ask the question, "What would it be like if I acted toward God like I act toward my wife, that is if I sought to be one with Him? Also, what would I act like if I treated believers as my fellow spouse or as Christ's wife? How kind am I to my friend's spouse? How much more kind should I be to Christ's wife?" 

No comments: