Thursday, September 3, 2009

Slackline Living (balance)

This is about being grateful.
I find it so fascinating that if you are reading this blog it is more than likely that you were born rich. I was born rich, filthy rich. I had candy on a regular basis. I had so many toys that it became amusing to destroy them. (Honestly I never broke my toys on purpose, but it seems that many of my peers did at some level.) I got new shoes every school year. I always had a warm coat, always a full stomach. I went to school.

What are the implications of being over privileged from birth? A heightened tendency towards selfishness, greed, un-thankfulness, becoming jaded are a few of the tendencies that I see. Now read that list with the knowledge that I don't have much to compare it to. I haven't spent much time with people that haven't grown up rich. Perhaps people who are living in situations where basic needs aren't being fully met have an equal infusion of everything on that list. I imagine that Jesus has a few things to say here. I apologize for not doing the research to put them here.
I listened to a book that said that the wealthy have what they have so that they may use it to help those who don't have.

What I am going to attempt I heard from a man named Shane Hipps. He told me to experience something in this way: Eat a treat like it is the last one you will have. (I might add, like you have never had it before.) Take the pleasure rumbling in your mouth and move it to your heart. Feel thanksgiving.
What I think that I am going to add is to do that often, to all of the rich things that I regularly encounter. I don't want to forget that I am rich, or worse to begin to think that I need or deserve it or that I earned it. I do want to enjoy it fully and healthily.

No comments: