Friday, October 2, 2009

It’s all about...

I hear folks (Christian pastors, singers, others) say “It’s all about Jesus.” I know that such a generic statement is often tied to a very relevant context that brings it complete legitimacy. Other times or, to my recollection, many times this statement is flung into public hearing without a context. I think that people have a general posture of wanting to adore Jesus with a potent overarching statement. I think that people sometimes desire a phrase or idea that they can latch onto and use without the trouble of discerning whether it is appropriate or not. I find that a catchphrase such as this is assigned to contexts which render the phrase untrue.


To say “It’s all about Jesus,” without context is untrue. The word “it” has to refer to something. I think that the general assumption is that the Christian life is the subject of this sentence. I believe that to say that the Christian life is all about Jesus is simply not true. I find that there are many other things that make up the Christian life. Some examples are the world, sin, the other members of the trinity.

To say that worship is all about Jesus is, in my view incorrect. I think this was claimed in a popular worship song. I believe that worship is about Jesus, God as one, the Father, believers who offer worship, and other things.

To even say that Jesus is all about Jesus is untrue. He seemed to be all about the Father, if anything. But he also seemed to be all about sinners too.


What harm does this bring? I don’t know exactly. But, I believe that truth and accuracy are important. I advocate strongly for authoring one’s statements and claims. I believe that in all aspects of life one should assess and reassess what one is saying, doing, believing and the motivation behind these aspects of living.

Part of my belief in the importance of accuracy is the effect that it has on Christian witness. When I see Christians going around making inaccurate claims, many are found on Church signs, it makes Christians look unintelligent. (A quick disclaimer: I am not saying that I do this always. I am only saying that I believe it to be important.)


No comments: